Monday, October 27, 2008

Still undecided?

I got a new Doctor today - I now have a Radiation Oncologist, the delightful Dr. Lampenfield. He wanted to consult with me about radiation, but I think he mostly convinced me that I could make my decision regarding treatment now - why wait another month when nothing is really going to change for the better before that?

And one of the first things out of his mouth is that the his goal of radiation treatment for me is curative. So radiation is in. You get tattoos and everything. He pretty much relieved or minimized almost all of my fears. There is risk of some number of long term side affects, but they work real hard to stay below the level of exposure that raises that risk. And lots of people get by with only one good kidney anyway. What a commitment - 45 minutes a day for 6 weeks? Yikes.

The only question is whether to have chemo concurrently. And why not - in for a penny in for a pound. Running chemo at the same time increases the toxicity of each, but isn't that kind of the goal? And those effects should still fade away once the treatment is done.

Now, I had gemcitabine after my whipple. Dr. Tempero feels that gemcitabine works for me. But most of the available information about use of chemo with radiation is about a chemo called 5FU. Radiation Dr. says I should discuss it with Chemo Kaufman, but I'm pretty sure Kaufman will leave it up to me anyway. So which do I choose? There's a day or two of research to do about which way to go, although sometimes it feels like a coin toss would be just as good.

And I want to spend a little more energy looking into the availability of clinical trials. But I've got a couple weeks I guess. If I call Lampenfield tomorrow to go with the radiation, it's still 2 weeks before the first shot gets taken. Plenty of time for everything.

Here's to moving forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Cosgrove family...
I wanted to let you know that I'm praying for all of you...and wanted to say that if I could do the chemo/radiation double whammy, anyone can do it! I was given 5FU also. That plus radiation (and of course God's blessing of life) is why I'm still here.

I'm sorry you have to go through this again, but know that lots of people are upholding you in prayer.

Blessings,
Carol Lee-(from 1st Pres-the children's ministry director)

John said...

Thanks! I'm thankful for your kind words and prayers.

I'm not as concerned about the double whammy as I am about which drug to use. When I look at all the trials available, the range of chemos being used, experimentally in many cases to be sure, on my type of cancer is staggering. I'm not looking forward to it, but we do what we must.

John