Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

Dates like New years have become far more poignant for me in the last 21 months. My birthday, April 13th and Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving carry a special meaning colored by surviving - joyful that I've reached another and pensive about how many are left.

This New Year finds my health steadily improving. My weight is stable, I gain strength and endurance everyday, I feel great. There's still a way to go - my guts have not settled down since the conclusion of treatment a month ago and I'm ready for a nap at the drop of a hat. Mati and I are going out for a walk at the lake later today for the first time in a couple weeks. We are both looking forward to it, and the nap that follows. Between working and the naps in preparation for working or to recover from working there doesn't seem to be much left for walking.

I have a CT scan and blood tests scheduled for the 5th and a visit with Chemo Kaufman on the 12th. I'm not nearly as tense about it as I have been for previous tests. I don't know if that's because of my recent therapy, the busy holidays, or that I've found some way to let whatever comes wait for when it actually happens. Don't borrow trouble as the saying goes. Plus I get to browbeat Kaufman a little about these most recent chemo side affects, offering at least a little mental relief.

That's all I have other than to wish everyone a healthy and happy 2009!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, It's great to hear you are doing well. You certainly seam to have the right attitude. It is very true that if you believe it will happen for you.
Stay Tough.

Judy Hahn said...

Thanks, Cosgrove family, for sharing your blog with us, especially the pics. It's good to see you all having fun! You look good John! Was there a significance to the purple on New Year's Eve? Just curious. Keep writing.

Love and prayer,
Judy

Vicki said...

Purple is the color of Pancreatic Cancer Awareness, just like pink is the color for breast cancer. Everything has a color these days it seems. Suits me just fine.

More info can be found here:
The National Plan to Advance Pancreatic Cancer Research
http://www.pancan.org/announcements/raise_the_cure.html