Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happy Birthday

Two years ago this week I went to the most excellent Dr. Umair and told her I was on my last belt hole and my pants were still falling down, and my skin clashed with my favorite yellow sweater. I remember she called me on my birthday to tell me there was a definite problem in my abdomen - a small mass (my brother Mike might suggest that a 'small mass' is when Father Rowley had the late service on Superbowl Sunday) in my pancreas. And despite the odds, tomorrow I turn 51.

Not only do I get to celebrate another birthday, but I might need to go back to my bigger clothes! I'm getting to the point where I'm almost meaty!

I recently spoke to someone that has just been diagnosed with pancreat cancer. It was a vivid reminder of the chaotic emotional whirlwind we went through in Spring of 07. And I really didn't have much to offer - the choices, as written on this blog somewhere, are not all that clear: get the operation if you can, and beyond that go with your gut (no pun intended). I heaped praise on CK Chang, and talked about all the side effects that came from all the different things I've done and that was pretty much it.

Except that I'm still around. And that I'm going to be around a while longer. I'm guessing that was the best part of our conversation. I remember how awful the statistics are. And how I felt looking through them and those tough conversations with the family. And it was one of those secret fears I had - there's no one that's making an exception to the statistics so how can I? That was my gift to her. I am living proof that the cancer doesn't always win. As Chemo Kaufman says, pancreat cancer still sucks, but things are pretty good right now.

Peace, and Happy Birthday to me.

PS. If you're interested in sending a gift, please make it a call, fax, email or letter to your Congressperson to sponsor HR745 which will provide more funding for research and finding a way to cure, prevent and screen for pancreat cancer. All the tools you need to get you started are on the right hand side of this note. On your mark, get set....GO!

No comments: