Thursday, March 05, 2009

Turn on the HAPPY SWITCH!

Chemo Kaufman says Pancreatic Cancer still sucks but.......

All indications are that things continue to get better for me. There has been a 28% reduction in the CA19-9 tumor marker and I've gained 10 lbs since the end of the evil 3 week chemo/radiation treatment in November. Kaufman anticipates that the numbers will continue to get better as a result of the ongoing efficacy of the radiation. He says that was just what I needed.

I wasn't really convinced that I was going to be joyful following this latest visit, in fact, I was pretty carefree till they drew the blood on Monday, then I got to thinking about the possibilities. It is with GREAT RELIEF and with champagne glasses raised that we let you know that we are doing GREAT!

I guess I'll have to start doing some crunches, lest I become too bulbous in my middle. I'm always one for putting on a great front, but that's not the kind I want.

In the last several weeks, when Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg was diagnosed and treated for pancreatic cancer and then that idiot, fear mongering shit for brains Senator Bunning (R-Kentucky) decided that we needed to start putting pressure on Obama because she only had 9 months to live, I was aghast!!! After surviving this disease for nearly 2 years, it really affected me that someone would think like that. I don't want anyone else to ever get this thing, but when then DO get it, they have to have HOPE! Statistics can drive you crazy. They are not good for pancreatic cancer patients. Jerks that hope for the statistics to be right, for political gain, are the worst kind of opportunist. Bunning can kiss my ass.

We've turned on the Happy Switch! I have 6 weeks until another blood test and CT scan - it's like a cancer vacation. Thanks to everyone for your prayers, kind thoughts words and deeds, and good vibes all around!

And thanks to Taryn for all the cupcake trials - at least half of my much needed weight gain.

Life - it's a good idea.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Kaufman is funny. When we get excited about good news, he's quick to tell us that pancreatic cancer is still a really bad thing, but when we get worried about something, he's just as quick to tell us that it's not that big a deal.

There's some cognitive dissonance there, but today, I'll TAKE it.

Life is good.

Vicki said...

Woke up this morning with this playing in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7y4IDeKjqk

Watch it. It will make you feel good!