Monday, April 09, 2007

High Anxiety and all manner of help

Today's post seems about nothing and about everything all at once. There are so many things that we (and I'm sure others in similar circumstances) go thru in getting thru the days till surgery. There are things that need to get done (house cleaning, banking, bill paying, making sure there is enough ice cream made, getting the old car donated, refinancing the house...yada yada yada) and there are questions that need to get answered (how long will it take to recover after getting out of the hospital, is there a power of health care decision form to fill out, how do I take care of Elliot and make sure that John always has company in the hospital, just a few among them).

I thought about making a hospital schedule for John. I want to make sure there is always someone there with him that can keep him company AND be witness to anything that's going on in the hospital. I'd like someone else to always hear what any Dr or nurse has to say, write it in a journal so we don't forget (Thank you Mary R for the great suggestion) and so we don't miss anything. At this point tho, we don't know if John will be in Intensive Care, but we suspect that he will be for at least a day or two, so that means I'm the only one that can be there.

My friends in the grassroots community have been amazing in their desire to help. Babaloo, from Say No To Pombo has started a new blog called Progressive Connection and they are reaching out to let people know there is trouble in my little corner of the world. John & I are completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and willingness to help.

John and I are on our way in a few minutes to consult with the gastroenterologist about getting the stint put in his bile duct to stop whatever is blocked up inside him. The itching, caused by the biliruben and jaundice is getting so out of control that John is having trouble sleeping, which adds to his already low energy levels. We are very hopeful that they do this thing right away and that it helps right away. Altho John has gained a couple of pounds back, now that we are more concientious about his eating, he needs to get his energy back up. It's weird to have him not doing something all the time.

I will report more when we find out what's going to happen with the stint.

Peace & love to all
Vicki

3 comments:

Joy1225 said...

If John would like to have an almost perfect stranger as a visitor, I will be happy to come and visit.

Vicki said...

I know that all visitors will be welcome when he can have them. We suspect there may be a couple of days of ICU, but I will be sure to keep everyone informed thru this blog.

THANKS JOY!! I miss you.

Laura D said...

Let me know if I can help by spending some time with Elliot this weekend. It's been way too long since I've seen the boy and I'd love to treat him to a movie and a meal if that would be helpful