Monday, April 23, 2007

This is what recovery looks like

Hi everyone,

Just popping in to pick up Elliot to take him to see his Dad and thought I'd send off a post letting you all know that recovery is finally taking place. It was a rough start, getting to where we are now, but all systems are going really well.

Subtractions: They took out one IV line in his right hand, the foley tube and the epidural (a couple of days ago). They are not monitoring his pulse on a constant basis now.

Additions: They began sending in a nutritious concoction today. It's not going in orally, but directly to his stomach. I suspect there are enzymes that will start his digestive system up so that the next step will be to take food orally.

There is still medicine for stomach acid, antibiotics and a host of other ones I can't remember right now, but they're all good and we seem to be done with the transfusions (never want to take anything for granted anymore).

Last Thursday, John was very uncomfortable in with the bed he was in. When he was in a different ward last week, there was a bed that automatically adjusted when you moved so that you didn't have alot of pressure points. John was feeling like he had no padding and he wanted one of those good beds. Then in all the urgency of his medical situation, it all kind of got forgotten....till today. Dr Chang finally ORDERED it. When it looked like they were going to continue to ignore the request, I just started making noise abouto it. Around noon, we finally talked them into bringing one of those good beds over. I even offered to roll it back to where it belonged if we could just HAVE it. Thankfully, I won't have to do that AND John is feeling so much more comfortable already.

All in all, I think this is what the recovery was supposed to look like on Friday and the weekend and now that the bleeding crisis is over, I think we're on the right track. The day they decide to take out the NG tube will be a day of HUGE celebration, but we still don't know when that might be yet.

With all my heart, I want to thank my wonderful daughter Taryn
for her untiring dedication to being by her father's side. Her joyful presence is calming and healing for all of us and because of her efforts, I've been able to keep Elliot's life somewhat stable. She adores her Papa and her Papa tolerates her better than anyone. Oh to be 20 again and not have to worry too much about a full night's sleep. She does these long nights and always looks happy and refreshed in the morning and I'm deeply grateful to her for being SO there for all of us and for her Dad. Thank you Taryn, I love you so much.

No comments: