Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Long Day

I have finally almost caught up with all the email. I feel like I'm never going to get to it all right now and most of it I just have to delete. How is one supposed to keep up with Imus, Bush, DOJ and all the candidates when you can't get to a computer? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with the bliss of ignorance for a little while. Keeps the outrage to a dull roar rather than a massive pounding in my chest anyway, which is a good thing, since I can't do much about anything right now.

This day started at 5am. I awoke to the lights on in the house and John talking on the phone, sometimes with his voice raised higher than other times, but always with alot of tension. I tried to go back to sleep, but I could feel all that tension building in me too, and I just lay there hoping that things were going to be ok.

Alas, that was not to be, as you already know. John was doubled over in pain and he wasn't able to catch a breath so we were on our way to the ER. You pretty much know most of the rest from the previous postings.

John is now surrounded by family pictures, his book, his IPod and some lilacs for aroma therapy. He has jammie pants, his journal in case he wants to write something he doesn't wanna forget. He's also got his Leftover Salmon ball cap on. You don't see too many hospital patients with their ball caps on I don't think.

When I left him at 9PM tonite, he was tired. We're trying to figure out something we can give him that's not morphine. He says the pain has gone from a 7 to a 4 on a scale of 1-10, so maybe he can get by without anymore pain meds. He keeps an ice pack on his head for the headache, but that doesn't hardly seem like enough, but there are not many alternatives when you can't take anything orally. I think he just wanted to sleeeeeeeeep. I don't think he's slept for 3 nights running, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that he gets to do it tonite, altho I don't know how you sleep uninterrupted in a hospital.

His friend Jim Fox is scheduled to visit him in the morning while I take Elliot to the orthodontist. (it's funny how other life just keeps happening around us). When I came home tonite, my house was miraculously alot cleaner than it was when I left. (Thank you Jay and Elliot). And now I think it might be time for me to sleep too.

If anyone wants to visit John, he is at Walnut Creek Kaiser in room 617 in 3 North, B side. If you want to come when I'm there, please call me to schedule. I would love to see you, but I have a bit of running around to do tomorrow. I wouldn't wanna miss you. If you are so inspired, please pick up the little journal on his bedside table and write in it. Even if you just note something that happened while you are there, it's all important.

Be well everyone. Take good care of yourselves. If you are reading this, you are important to John and to me, and we don't have time right now for anyone else getting sick. =)

Peace, hope and love
Vicki

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vicki - I am so sorry that this is happening to your husband and your family. I wanted to let you know that Jon and I are thinking of you. If you need any help at your store let me know as I have some free time during the day.
If you need any other help please let us know.
Michelle