Thursday, April 12, 2007

Today Is MUCH better

Hi everyone,

I woke up this morning, believing that today had to be better than yesterday and indeed, it was. When I first walked into John's room, I could tell right away that he was better. He's losing some of his jaundice and he itches less. The stent is doing exactly what it was meant to do and this is a wonderful thing. It wasn't supposed to go like it did, but we're happy that it's doing what it was supposed to do.

John is still not recieving food or drink. They did his blood numbers this morning and they are still alarmingly astronomical. I left them in the journal so I don't have them here, but the Dr's are pleased that they are at least coming down. To reward him for this, they allowed him to have some ice chips, but when the water goes down, it still hurts his belly, so he's not really inclined to suck on them much altho he still thinks that some marinated mozzerella, some fried chicken, a meat loaf sandwich, some beer or some martinis might be ok. =)

Dr Lah, after reading off the blood numbers, told us that the best case scenario would see John going home from the hospital tomorrow evening after seeing how he responds to a light liquid diet that they're going to try to give him. Honestly, I don't really see that happening, but I would be happy to be proven wrong. A hospital is NO PLACE for sick people. There is no sleep, there are constant assaults of every sense you can imagine and the bastards won't feed ya!!!

During the day, he seemed like he was feeling pretty good, altho weak. He got to take a shower and went out to a little porch for some sunshine. Then, later in the evening, he felt a little redundant saying he didn't feel too good. His head still aches, even tho he only had 2 mg of morphine today and his belly seemed to be bothering him quite a bit. I haven't figured out what to make of any of it, thinking back on the day. I guess we need to just continue to hope for the best.

I realized after posting Kevin's note earlier that a small family tree might be useful. John has 4 brothers. They are, in order of age, Kevin, Michael, John, Steve and Pat (or Gus). Jay is MY brother and Sarah is his wife. They run the Casa de la Knudsen Bed and Breakfast, but it's only for family, so don't try to make a reservation. I also have 2 other brothers, Ty & Tod. Yes...I'm the only girl, cept for the wives. Twas ever thus in my life. All boy cousins, all brothers. Do you think that explains anything about how I turned out? I have no idea. All the brothers that I've got now tho, AND their wifes, are great tho, and that has alot to do with who I am now.

I'm over and out. Tomorrow starts another day. I'm trying to see these days at the hospital as practice for how it will be after the Whipple surgery. I do thank you notes and I knit. John and I needed a vacation together for a while.......this wasn't exactly what we had in mind.

Peace, hope and love
Vicki

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Vic,

Just want to let you know I'm checkin in every day to see how John & you are doing. Glad to hear John got a little sunshine yesterday and that the numbers are improving.

Best you all of you,

Janet